Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rlzeun

I received a 1099 misc for a life insurance payout, why do I have to report it as income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

I received a 1099 misc for a life insurance payout, why do I have to report it as income?

Because you received a Form 1099-MISC for the life insurance payout, this indicates that it is taxable income to you.  

Do I report proceeds paid under a life insurance contract as taxable income?
Answer:
  • Generally, life insurance proceeds you receive as a beneficiary due to the death of the insured person, aren't includable in gross income and you don't have to report them.
  • However, any interest you receive is taxable and you should report it as interest received. 
  • If the policy was transferred to you for cash or other valuable consideration, the exclusion for the proceeds is limited to the sum of the consideration you paid, additional premiums you paid, and certain other amounts. There are some exceptions to this rule. Generally, you report the taxable amount based on the type of income document you receive, such as a Form 1099-INT or Form 1099-MISC or Form 1099-R.  For additional information, see Publication 525Taxable and Nontaxable Income.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies