turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a 1099 misc after I filed. What should I do?

Should I go ahead and amend my return since I have already received my refund. My extra tax I owe is $195 which isn't a whole lot. Or should I just wait and see what happens? I've heard that the IRS will send out a CP2000 stating my income wasn't correct and I'll owe x amount. If it's likely I'll receive the CP2000, I would rather just wait for it and pay it then rather then amending. Is that reasonable?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Melaine

Yes, you can indeed wait for IRS communication, however, remember that if they send this two years from now and you owe taxes, you will no longer be paying $195, you will be paying a lot more due to penalties and interest.  You can complete the amendment once you have received your refund and pay at that time.  But either way is ok as you have three years to complete an amendment.  If you choose to do the amendment, you will be able in Turbo Tax by selecting the year you would like to amend in the link below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Melaine

Yes, you can indeed wait for IRS communication, however, remember that if they send this two years from now and you owe taxes, you will no longer be paying $195, you will be paying a lot more due to penalties and interest.  You can complete the amendment once you have received your refund and pay at that time.  But either way is ok as you have three years to complete an amendment.  If you choose to do the amendment, you will be able in Turbo Tax by selecting the year you would like to amend in the link below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

Can you tell me when the IRS would contact me if they find it this year? Would it be before the deadline when taxes are due?
Melaine

I am sorry, but no one can predict this.  It could be months or it could be years or not at all.

Thank you for your answers! I think I will wait a little while and see if I receive anything and if not I'll amend.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies