Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received $5000.00 for giving witness testimony in court, law firm didn't issued me any 1099, where do I report the income on my tax return?

I received a check for $5000.00 as a witness to testify in court for a lawyer, he is not going to send me any 1099-misc. Is this income taxable? And where do I report it on my 2017 tax return?   

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

I received $5000.00 for giving witness testimony in court, law firm didn't issued me any 1099, where do I report the income on my tax return?

Yes, you are required to report all income. If this testimony fee was not related to your main job, you may enter it as Other Reportable Income.

To find this in TurboTax, open your return and follow these steps:

1. Federal Taxes
  2. Wages & Income
  3. Less Common Income
  4. Miscellaneous Income
  5. Other Reportable Income

Or open your return and search on "other reportable income", click on the "jump to..." link, then answer "No" to other wages. Click Start beside "Other reportable income" and follow the prompts.

However, if this fee related to your main job/profession, you would enter this as "Other Income not reported on Form W-2" under Miscellaneous Income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks. Patricia
Lwnmwrboy5
Returning Member

This is my exact problem as well. Where would I deduct the expenses for travel, hotel, and lawyer fee to represent me during the deposition against the income?

HopeS
Expert Alumni

It depends. if you are filing an individual tax return and this is a one-time service, please follow the steps below:

1. Open or continue your return
  2. Select Search and search for 1099-misc
  3. Select Jump to 1099-misc
  4. Answer Yes to Did you get a 1099-MISC?

Be sure to report each payment in the proper box because the IRS uses this information to determine whether the recipient has properly reported the payment. The income will be taxable, however, you will not pay self-employment tax on it since it is not Schedule C income.

This income should not be entered on Schedule C (Business Profit & Loss) unless you are in the business of providing this type of service. If you are in the business of providing testimony in court then you would be able to take your related expenses such as travel, hotel, etc.

See the instructions below for Schedule C filers:

Schedule C Income

@trevinachoy 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies