turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My stock brokerage account sent me 1099 form, so I am not sure if do I really need to file an amount of my losses and profits. (its only under $100). Thanks

I am a student, and I filed my taxes under my parents, but I forgot to provide my 1099-form  from brokerage account. As I mentioned I have loss and profit under $100 in that 1099 form. Thank for answers in advance! 

Mike K

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM

My stock brokerage account sent me 1099 form, so I am not sure if do I really need to file an amount of my losses and profits. (its only under $100). Thanks

If you received a 1099-B with stock/fund sales, then you'll need to include that on your return.  If you've already filed, then you'll have to amend your return and add the missing info.

It's not the gain/loss amount which is the issue, it's the gross proceeds amount.  If you don't include those sales, IRS will look at the proceeds (the total of all your sale prices) and assess you tax as if that were your gain.  Even though your actual gain (once purchase price has been subtracted) may only be a hundred bucks, you'll wind up getting an IRS notice showing a much higher gain, plus a tax bill and penalty & interest.

You need to amend and list that 1099-B info.

View solution in original post

19 Replies
ThomasM

If you received a 1099-B with stock/fund sales, then you'll need to include that on your return.  If you've already filed, then you'll have to amend your return and add the missing info.

It's not the gain/loss amount which is the issue, it's the gross proceeds amount.  If you don't include those sales, IRS will look at the proceeds (the total of all your sale prices) and assess you tax as if that were your gain.  Even though your actual gain (once purchase price has been subtracted) may only be a hundred bucks, you'll wind up getting an IRS notice showing a much higher gain, plus a tax bill and penalty & interest.

You need to amend and list that 1099-B info.

So, can I just amend and list 1099 - b info separately? Because my parents already filed earlier and included my 1040 (or some form I received from school)
ThomasM

It sounds like your parents filed & claimed you as a dependent, and they added the Form 1098-T (from your school) onto their return, which is correct.  Just to clarify, did you file your own return (which you can do, even as a dependent)?

Correct, they claimed me as a dependent, and no, I didn't file my own return.
ThomasM

Did you have any income that your folks included on their return, or is the 1099-B your only income?

1099-B is my only income
ThomasM

What are the gross proceeds for all sales (grand total) as shown on the 1099-B?

I have $2799

and there is “(g) Amount of adjustment = $30”  and “Gain or (loss)  = $80”

This amount of adjustment and Gain (loss) comes from 8949 form
ThomasM

Here's the situation.  Your $80 capital gain is below the dependent filing requirement for unearned income (think "investments")  of $1050.  That means you do not owe tax on the amount, nor are you required to file a return.  But the reality is that you have gross proceeds that exceed $1050 -- even though they only amount to $80 of gain -- so I'm afraid what will happen is that IRS will do what I mentioned above: send a notice showing the gross proceeds as gain and requiring you to respond and prove otherwise (which you can do, but it will be a hassle).  Further adding to my expectation is an IRS chart with beautifully vague language, drawing a distinction between those "who must file" and those "who should file."  Gross proceeds factor into the latter category.

So I would advise you to file.  Since you haven't filed, it will be an original return, not an amended return.  You'll need to use TurboTax Premier online to do this, since a Form 8949 and a Schedule D must be prepared.  You'll file as a dependent, which means you'll answer "yes" to TurboTax's question "Can you be claimed on someone else's tax return," which you'll find in the Personal Info section when you're entering your name, SSN, etc, at the beginning of the process. Here's the link to get you started:  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/onlin...>.

Doing it this way, even though you don't technically have to, will end the issue.

One last question, something I just noticed:  when you say the amount of adjustment comes from the 8949 form, that's a form that gets filed with a tax return, so where is that coming from?

I receive 8949 form with 1099 form at the same time, brokerage firm sent me them together.

So, If I have 8949, what does it mean?
ThomasM

Okay, your broker prepared it for you.  It just means your brokerage has done you a favor.  TurboTax will prepare the form anyway, but you can see how the 1099-B info carries to the 8949.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies