Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

roarke100

I purchased turbo tax on bigtaxdeal.com. How do I verify the turbo tax software I downloaded is legit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I purchased turbo tax on bigtaxdeal.com. How do I verify the turbo tax software I downloaded is legit?

It's not legit. Bigtaxdeal.com is not an authorized reseller for TurboTax downloads. I suggest that you not try to install the download, since it might contain viruses, spyware, or other malware. It is certainly pirated.

You should purchase a download directly from TurboTax.com, or from a well-known major online retailer.

View solution in original post

31 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

It's not legit. Bigtaxdeal.com is not an authorized reseller for TurboTax downloads. I suggest that you not try to install the download, since it might contain viruses, spyware, or other malware. It is certainly pirated.

You should purchase a download directly from TurboTax.com, or from a well-known major online retailer.

dcall

I paid $20 for turbotax premier download from a company TT software and paid through paypal.   The downlaod was a zip file and I still have the email with the link if you want to see it. I am suspecting this is an unapproved  reseller?  I should have known better.  I ran the unzipped exe installer but then stopped it upon first prompt realizing that I was taking a big risk. I am curious if it is a hacked copy and/or malicious. I asked for a refund through  paypal. Are you interested in additional info?  or should I just delete the zip file?
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@dcall   Please post the link to the web site where you purchased the download. I will notify the appropriate people at TurboTax.

A legitimate TurboTax download is not a zip file. There's no telling what you got. It could very well be malicious software of some kind. I recommend that you delete the file.

I had the same exact issue. The website that I ordered from was: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://bigtaxdeal.com/product/turbotax-premier-2018-for-windows/">https://bigtaxdeal.com/product/tu...> but when you click on link or try to contact bigtax.deal.com it immediately gives you a 404 not found error. When I purchased, I also purchased through Pay Pal and received an order #. When I tried to click on the downloads to download it, so I could do my taxes, I immediately receive 404 not found error. I looked pack at my paypal history and it shows Hector Perez received the payment.  I think I was scammed. :( When I ordered it showed I purchased Turbo Tax deluxe and gave me the order # 3784

We aren't allowed to post an official list of authorized download vendors (I don't know why), but Bigtaxdeal is not one, no legit authorized seller would use PayPal, and no legitimate seller uses Dropbox, GoogleDocs, or other consumer-level file servers to deliver the download.

You will have to seek recovery from PayPal. We will report the unauthorized reseller but if they are overseas they may be difficult to block (maybe Security can de-monetize them by getting their PayPal canceled.)

We can't help you verify if the software is valid and not tampered with.  We recommend you delete the download and re-purchase Turbotax from an authorized vendor like Costco, Amazon, or Staples.

Has anyone bought from this site recently (after Feb 1, 2019 for example)?  What exact address did you use?  We reported the site a while ago.  

Unfortunately, I did. I purchased this. Received the download and downloaded it. Filed taxes. Never received an email saying they were received. The website is gone when I checked today. I’m worried that my identity went with it.

Hope you filed a dispute with your credit card compay?  watch your credit card statement carefully for unknown transactions
If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.

You can look up here to see if your returns were actually e-filed.  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-results/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/e...>

Then you will need to check yourself at the IRS and your state tax web site for a refund date (they won't provide that information to a third party like Turbotax, you have to check directly.)

@goodman Are you saying this is a legit site to purchase Turbo Tax from?
GinaG
Intuit Alumni

@wizardrycon No, that was not an authorized seller link he was providing.

In the last month, as folks start to think about tax preparation, a number of taxpayers have done an internet search for TurboTax for purchase and come up with some suggested sites.  Google is very happy to take anyone's money to sponsor first top of the list advertizing and the scam artists have made use of that.

What are the "best prices" now in January, 2019 from reliable sources, including BJ's, Costco, Amazon if direct from Amazon and not from an unknown marketplace seller?  See at the end of this!

I've seen TurboTax CD-Desktop prices as low as $10;  So what does that tell me:

1. If it looks too good to be true, it almost certainly is "too good" and no doubt a scam.
  2. Many posters who purchased from the various unauthorized sellers discover after installing the product that it does not quite operate correctly, particularly in online operations.
  3. The seller is not authorized.
  4. Doing a "Whois" or "Trace" I find out that the seller is typically hosted anonymously with no valid telephone number for the merchant, or listed at a number of GoDaddy or whoever is the registrar who took money to list the site.
  5. Digging further on ping or similar, I usually find the real merchant site is not in the USA!
  6. Conclusion:  Buying from an unknown source of questionable reliability offers to have:
    a.  Your credit card number sold to the world for use anywhere.
    b.  Your personal data stolen.
    c.  and a chance to learn Ukrainian, Russian, or Mandarin!

The two attachments show:
      A.  Intuit January pricing - note that it will increase as time passes and April 15 approaches
      B.  Costco January pricing - probably about the best around but likely similar elsewhere

If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.
Anonymous
Not applicable

watch your credit card for unauthorized activity. 

I also downloaded TurboTax from BigTaxDeal.com (which now does not exist as a web page anymore), and I took a look at the executable (.exe) and the code signing certificate on it is Intuit's code signing certificate, meaning nobody except Intuit could modify the contents of the executable without being Intuit or having a copy of their code signing certificate.  If the code signing process had been hacked or bypassed it would have worldwide implications for software distribution, so I doubt that has happened.  What I think is happening is that people are trying to make a quick buck by just reselling a TurboTax installer which they got through one of the high-volume downloadable TurboTax sellers like Amazon.  These downloadable installs don't appear to have any registration code and therefore can be used by more than one person (from what I can tell).  I have some experience in code signing and looked at the details and the .exe I have is signed by Intuit of San Diego and is chained up to the VeriSign certificate authority which is well known and trusted.  Anybody else installed it and seen any signed of malware? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies