turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I paid all living expenses for my dependents at my address for exactly 6 months of the year, then paid less than half the other 6 months, what should my filing status be?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

I paid all living expenses for my dependents at my address for exactly 6 months of the year, then paid less than half the other 6 months, what should my filing status be?

It depends. You may still qualify for Head of Household. The status does not break down expenses into time period. It looks at the year as a whole: You paid more than half the cost of keeping up a home for the year.

You would need to compare every dollar you put into the cost of maintenance vs every dollar paid by any other person.The items considered are 

Property taxes

Mortgage interest expense

Rent

Utility charges

Repairs/maintenance

Property insurance

Food eaten in the home

Other household expenses

If you do not qualify, then you are Married Filing Separately if you are not divorced or single.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Who are the dependents?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

My son and a parent
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

It depends. You may still qualify for Head of Household. The status does not break down expenses into time period. It looks at the year as a whole: You paid more than half the cost of keeping up a home for the year.

You would need to compare every dollar you put into the cost of maintenance vs every dollar paid by any other person.The items considered are 

Property taxes

Mortgage interest expense

Rent

Utility charges

Repairs/maintenance

Property insurance

Food eaten in the home

Other household expenses

If you do not qualify, then you are Married Filing Separately if you are not divorced or single.

Thank you for your reply. To be more specific, I rented a home and paid all expenses for myself, my son and my parent then mid year, all three of us moved into a family members’s home where I paid less than half the cost to maintain that home. So if the family member paid more to maintain their home those six months we lived there, I can not claim head of household??
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

This link will give you more information. It is possible. See if this applies to you.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5029447">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5029447</a>

This was very helpful. Thank you again
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies