Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fajardoo

I own a L1 Visa and my kids have L2 Visa. For the ITIN, in "Reason for submitting Form W7", do I have to select option "d" and write my name + SSN or select option "g"?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I own a L1 Visa and my kids have L2 Visa. For the ITIN, in "Reason for submitting Form W7", do I have to select option "d" and write my name + SSN or select option "g"?

Read the instructions page 6 ...  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw7.pdf

fajardoo

Thanks for your response, I had read those instructions before posting my question, but is not clear what option do I have to fill, that's why I'm asking here. I don't know if I have to select "d" because I'm considered an resident alien for taxes purposes as I'm filling form 1040 and I have SSN, or if I have to select option "g"as a nos resident alien as holding an US L Visa. Thanks again.

That all depends on if you are considered a resident alien (d)  or a non resident alien (g) for tax purposes.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://h1bvisataxes.com/usresidentalienstatusfortax.htm">http://h1bvisataxes.com/usresidentalienstat...>
cloudsin

@fajardoo, Could you please let me the option which you have selected and also let me know if you were able to get ITIN for your kids? I am also applying ITIN for my kid and I am little confused with resident vs non-resident alien. Thanks much in advance!!!
fajardoo1

Hi. I selected Resident Alien. I got the ITIN, but in my first year I wasn't able to fill my refunds via TurboTax because I didn't have the ITIN's, I had to present my refund manually and after that I was able to get the ITIN's for my kids in the IRS office. Hope it could help you.
cloudsin

@fajardoo   thanks for the quick response. Just to confirm, you have selected option “d” and mentioned your ssn details in the form rite?

almost 4 years after and I'm in the same situation as you were, and I have the same questions, which option to choose. I think the instructions is not clear enough and let too many things to interpretation. but thanks for you comment I will do the same and choose option d.

Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies