andrewrobison

I owed on my 2018 return, paid via IRS website but somehow managed not to file for 2018. I try to file for 2019 my AGI for 2018 gets rejected, do I need to re-file 2018?

Do you know if your 2018 return was accepted?  What did your emails say after you filed?

When you e-file your federal return you will receive two emails from TurboTax.  The first one will say that your return was submitted.  The second email will tell you if your federal return was accepted or rejected.  If you e-filed a state return, there will be a third email to tell you if the state accepted or rejected your state return.

Check your account for 2018.  If it says anything other than "accepted" your return was not filed.  Either it was rejected and you did not notice and/or follow up, or it was never filed at all.

If you chose to file by mail, you had to mail it yourself.  TurboTax does not mail it for you.

If it was not filed, then print, sign and mail it now.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

If it was filed and accepted, then you have to follow up with the IRS to see what happened.

To call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

If this is about your state refund then contact your state:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue/0...

If the 2018 federal tax return was not filed, then enter a 0 (zero) for the 2018 AGI.