Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to send the IRS a completed form 8962 and need help with it. Also need to send them a copy of form 1095-A

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
CapB

I need to send the IRS a completed form 8962 and need help with it. Also need to send them a copy of form 1095-A

If you are amending in response to IRS Letter 12C:

Click on "See entire answer" then select the blue hyperlink for step by step instructions for adding Form 8962 after e-filing and receiving IRS Letter 12C for:

·       TurboTax Online or 

·       TurboTax Desktop

·       Final instructions recommend you print, mail of fax Form 8962 and Form 1095A to the IRS as specified in your letter.

You cannot e-file these forms, they must be mailed or faxed as requested.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5824742

I received a letter from the IRS telling me that I need to send a completed Form 8962 and a copy of the 1095-A  I was not asked abut this form when I filed my taxes and I do not know how to fill this form out.  Can  you help me?

Thank you

Carol J Barrick

MayaD
Expert Alumni

The question regarding the health insurance is no longer asked on a tax return because the individual mandate penalty for not having health care coverage was removed.

Once you report the 1095-A form, TurboTax will automatically generate form 8962.

To report form 1095-A;

1. Log in to your account.
  2. Go to Federal Taxes.
  3. Go to Deductions and Credits.
  4. Scroll down to Medical and click show more.
  5. Go to Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A)
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Catdat

What address do I use to send a completed 8962 to the IRS?

@Catdat wrote:

What address do I use to send a completed 8962 to the IRS?

Send the following to the IRS address or fax number given in your IRS letter:

1. Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit.
  2. Copy of your Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement.
  3. A copy of the IRS letter that you received.
  4. Only if the refund or owed amount has changed: also include page 2 of your 1040
Kisadha

I need to amend my 2019 taxes by submitting a completed 8962 attached to my 1040 . Initially we forgot to include information on the Health Care Market Place form 1095A and IRS wants us to pay back taxes of $10361.62 inclusive of charges.

please advise.

[PII Removed]

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

First be sure the IRS letter instructs you to amend the tax return.  Normally, for this issue the IRS requests a Form 8962 and a copy of the 1095-A be submitted to them.  

If that is the case, you will sign in to your TurboTax account and see your 2019 return.  Click "Add a state" to enable editing the return without amending it.  Enter your 1095A information under the "Deductions & Credits" tab, the "Medical" topic.

Once complete select the option to "Print/download".  Download all the forms and then find the Form 8962 to actually print it.

If you have to amend, the process is almost the same.  Instead of "Add a state" you will select the "Amend" option.  You will enter the 1095A information and select "Print/Download"  You will need to print your Form 1040, Form 8962 and Form 1040X in this case.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies