Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to file my 2016 tax return. Can I still file it online?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

No, at this point in time you cannot prepare and file online for 2016.  And you cannot efile it with TurboTax.  It has to be prepared in desktop software (CD/download), and printed, signed, and mailed.

Did you already start a 2016 return online prior to the October shutdown?   If so, you can download the *.tax2016 data file and finish it in the 2016 desktop software without starting over.  If you already paid for it, then TurboTax Support can furnish you the 2016 software.

If you haven't paid for the 2016 return, you can buy 2016 software from TurboTax at this link, or you may be able to find it for a discount at a reputable online retailer like Amazon, etc.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

If buying elsewhere, be aware that Deluxe comes in 2 versions--one that is Federal-only, and one that is Fed and State.  If buying from TurboTax, it is the combo version.  If buying elsewhere, be sure you get the correct one.
nelson440

Hi! I'm in the same situation but I have now purchased the 2016 desktop software. Now, trying to access my .tax2016 file online, it's saying I need to pay first. But I already did pay.

Did you already pay for the 2016 return Online previously, or is it locked because you didn't pay for it last year?   Normally the way to unlock a 2016 return at this point is to purchase a 2017 product.    You can discuss your situation with TurboTax Support by phone and see if they will unlock the prior return for you, or if they want you to purchase a 2017 product to unlock it.

Use the form at the link below to schedule a call back, or it may provide a number.  Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern) 7 days/week.

Where it asks what product you are using, go ahead and say "CD/download" based on your purchase of the 2016 desktop software.  Indicating CD/download there will make sure you are eligible for phone support.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact">https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact</a>
nelson440

Thank you so much! I had not paid online in 2016.  I purchased 2016 yesterday, and today I was able to contact support. You were exactly right - they provided steps to purchase 2017 and after that, I was able to unlock the 2016 file and import it into my 2016 desktop software.  Thanks again!

You're welcome.  I'm glad you were able to get it.  Good luck.

By the way, you said "I was able to unlock the 2016 file and import it into my 2016 desktop software."

This is probably just a terminology issue, but you don't "import" a same year tax file into the same year desktop software.  You OPEN the 2016 data file in the 2016 desktop software.  I suspect that's what you meant--that you used the 2016 software to open the *.tax2016 data file in order to continue it.  .  The term Importing" or "transferring" has a different connotation.
nelson440

Correct - thanks for helping clarify.  In the 2016 desktop software, I clicked File, then Open Tax Return, then located and opened the .tax2016 file which I had saved to my computer from my online account. Thanks again!

Great!   Yep, that's the way.   You're welcome.   Good luck.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies