kirstenlc

I made less than $10,000 last year but instead of receiving all my withheld taxes back in my refund I am being told I owe even more taxes. I thought I was tax exempt?

jerry2000
Alumni

When you are claimed as a dependent, then you do not get a personal exemption and because of that, you pay tax on $4,000 more income than if you were not claimed as a dependent. All you get is your standard deduction, which for a single person is $6,300. So you pay tax on any amount of income that is more than $6,300.  There is nothing about your situation that makes you exempt from tax.

What was the source of the income?  Was any of it reported on a 1099Misc?  Are you being claimed as someone's dependent?
kirstenlc

It was just a part-time job, I have a W-2. I don't even know what a 1099Misc is.

Why do you think you are tax exempt?  And are you being claimed as someone else's dependent?
kirstenlc

Yes I am

Please answer the questions you are being asked if you want help.
jerry2000
Alumni