turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I made 2,300 in W2 and 3500 in 1099-MISC. Why isn't the 1099-MISC number being included in my standard deduction? I'm a dependent.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

I made 2,300 in W2 and 3500 in 1099-MISC. Why isn't the 1099-MISC number being included in my standard deduction? I'm a dependent.

The 1099-Misc income is unearned income.  A dependent's standard deduction is his earned income + $350; in your case 2300 + 350 = 2650.

If you got the 1099-Misc for working, you will have to report it as self employment to get it to be treated as earned income and that will mean about $495 in self employment tax (FICA - social security and medicare tax).  You'll get the bigger standard deduction, so the income tax (including any "kiddie tax') will be wiped out. 

The 1099-MISC was for a college stipend.  It was not a job.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Scholarships are a hybrid between earned and unearned income. It is earned income for purposes of the  $12,400 filing requirement and the dependent standard deduction calculation (earned income + $350)..  It is not earned income for the kiddie tax other purposes (EIC. IRA contributions or additional child tax credit).

Taxable scholarship goes on line 1 of form 1040 with wage earned income.  TT can handle the dual treatment of the income.

Instead of entering it at the 1099-Misc screen, enter it at educational expenses.  After entering the 1098-T, you will be asked if you had any scholarships not reported on the 1098-T.  Enter there. When asked how much was used for room & board and other expenses, enter the 1099-Misc amount.  That makes it taxable. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies