Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I made 17k this year but my mom wants to file me as her dependent since I did so school. Is this correct?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

I made 17k this year but my mom wants to file me as her dependent since I did so school. Is this correct?

If you qualify as a dependent on your mom's return she can claim you even if you made 17K.

The 5 tests that will qualify a child as a dependent are: 

• Relationship: Must be your child, adopted child, foster-child, brother or sister, or a descendant of one of these (grand or nephew).
  • Residence: Must have the same residence for more than half the year.
  • Age: Must be under age 19 or under 24 and a full-time student for at least 5 months. They can be any age if they are totally and permanently disabled.
  • Support: Must not have provided more than half of their own support during the year.
  • Joint Support: The child cannot file a joint return for the year.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I didn't do 5 months of schooling this, I don't live with mom (Didn't live with her at all in 2020), she didn't provide any financial compensation to me. I don't need to file a joint. Does this mean I am dependent still or independent?

MayaD
Expert Alumni

No, from what you mentioned you don't qualify as a dependent on your mom's return.

But in 2021 If I become A full-time student would I then be considered a dependent? And also I made the hasty decision on sharing my W-2 info with my mom, will that be a problem if I file as an independent and she doesn't?

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You can only be claimed on one tax return each year.   You have to file a tax return (because of the 17K of income - your mom can't file that).  If she can't claim you, then you will answer NO - no one can claim me when asked in TurboTax.   But if you say NO - no one can claim you and your mother claims you anyway, one of your tax returns will be rejected because as stated earlier, you can only be claimed on ONE tax return each year.   

If things change next year and she can claim you in 2021, same thing.   But you will answer YES, someone can claim me.  

to give you a correct answer for 2021, what will be your age at the end of the year?  who will provide over 50% of your support for that year? 

So as filing as an independent, I'm basically claiming myself? And which one will be rejected?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Ultimately, both returns will be rejected until the IRS can get in touch with both of you and make the determination, unless you two come to an agreement.  The best thing is to determine the best tax advantage and you two make an agreement.

If someone else claimed you, as a dependent, inappropriately, and if they file first, your return will be rejected if e-filed. You would then need to file a return on paper, claiming yourself, if appropriate. The IRS will process your return and send you your refund, in the normal time. Shortly (up to a year) thereafter, you’ll receive a letter from the IRS, stating that your exemption was claimed on another return. It will tell you that if you made a mistake to file an amended return and if you didn't make a mistake to do nothing. The other party will get the same letter you did. If one of you doesn't file an amended return, un-claiming the exemption, the next letter, from the IRS, will require you to provide proof. Be sure to reply in a timely manner.

Winner gets the tax benefits; loser gets to pay the IRS back with penalties and interest.

Are you sure your Mom can't claim you and do you want to make this kind of hassle for both of you. With the tax law change, effective 2018, most dependents will get the same refund whether they claim themselves or not. The personal exemption has been eliminated and the standard deduction increased.

But, on the other hand, if your mom has claimed you, inappropriately, she needs to file an amended return, un-claiming you. Student status alone does not determine whether you are a dependent.  You do not need to wait until her amended return is fully processed, to claim yourself on your return. But, you still cannot e-file. You will have to mail in a paper return.

A child of a taxpayer can still be a “Qualifying Child” (QC) dependent**, regardless of his/her income, if:

1. He is under age 19, or under 24 if a full time student, including high school, for at least 5 months of the year, or is totally & permanently disabled
  2. He did not provide more than 1/2 his own support. Scholarships are considered third party support and not as support provided by the student.
  3. He lived with the parent (including temporary absences such as away at school) for more than half the year

So, it doesn't matter how much he earned. What matters is how much he spent on support. Money he put into savings does not count as support he spent on him self.

The support value of the home, provided by the parent, is the fair market rental value of the home plus utilities & other expenses divided by the number of occupants.

Furthermore, there is a rule that says IF somebody else CAN claim him as a dependent, he is not allowed to claim himself. If he has sufficient income (usually more than $12,200), he can & should still file taxes. In TurboTax, he indicates that somebody else can claim him as a dependent, at the personal information section.  TT will check that box on form 1040.

Even if he had less, he is allowed to file if he needs to get back income tax withholding. He cannot get back social security or Medicare tax withholding.

I would be 21 and 100% provided for myself.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

You must be under the age of 19 for your parents to claim you as a dependent. However, if you are a full-time student, you must be under age 24 in order for your parents to claim you as a dependent. If you are totally and permanently disabled, there is no age limit for your parents to claim you as a dependent.

So if you are 21 and working with $17,000 income you are required to claim yourself.  But, if you are a student it is who provided more than 50% of your support.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies