Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dadog2212

I'm trying to e-file but my ssn is not matching up

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
NatalieC

If you entered an incorrect social security number and it doesn't match the IRS records then your return will reject and you can go back into TurboTax and correct it and submit your return to the IRS again.

Got rejected? Don't take it personally. We're here to help you figure it out and be done for good.

Step 1: Check your email

The solution to some e-file rejections is as close as your Inbox. Look for an ACTION NEEDED! email from turbotax@intuit.com and follow the instructions.

Didn't get an email? Open your return to get the rejection reason and proceed to step 2.

Step 2: Search for a solution

If you didn't get an email, search on the reject message or code for instructions on how to fix.

Here are links to solutions for the top 10 IRS rejections:

1. IND-031-03: The AGI or Self-select PIN from last year for the first taxpayer doesn't match IRS records
  2. IND-032-03: The spouse's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year doesn't match IRS records
  3. FW2-502: The employer identification number (EIN) on the W-2 does not match what the IRS has in its records
  4. R0000-504-02: Each DependentSSN and the corresponding DependentNameControlTxt that has a value on line 6c(2) of the return, must match the SSN and Name Control in the e-File database
  5. R0000-500-01: Primary Social Security Number and Primary Name Control on the Tax Form must match data from the IRS Master File
  6. R0000-507-01: Someone has already filed a return with the IRS this year using your dependent's Social Security number (SSN)
  7. IND-181-01: The Primary Taxpayer did not enter a valid Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP PIN)
  8. R0000-503-02: The secondary taxpayer's Social Security number and last name don't match IRS records
  9. IND-516: If the Primary Taxpayer is claimed as an exemption, then the Primary SSN must not be the same as a Dependent SSN on another return
  10. R0000-902-01: Taxpayer TIN in the Return Header must not be the same as a TIN of a previously accepted electronic return for the return type and tax period indicated in the tax return
Step 3: Open and fix your return

If you haven't already opened your rejected return, now's the time to do so.

Follow any "fix-it" directions you see in your program (not all rejections will have this). Otherwise, navigate to the program area to address the cause of the rejection, then proceed to the final step.

Note: If the info you originally entered is correct, you won't be able to e-file. There likely is a data mismatch at the government, a dependent that's already been claimed, or some other "unfixable" situation that blocks you from e-filing.

In these cases, we recommend paper-filing by mail rather than wasting additional time trying to "fix" something that is beyond your control.

Step 4: Re-file your return

After completing the previous 3 steps, you're ready to re-file.

In your TurboTax program, click File in the upper-right area (mobile devices: tap in the upper-left corner to open the side menu, then tap File).

Follow the onscreen instructions to either e-file your return or file by mail.

Note: If you get the same rejection a second time (or third, or fourth, or fifth...) and you see no mistakes on your return, select the file by mail option to paper-file your return. Sometimes, returns keep getting rejected even though there's nothing wrong with them (data mismatches, dependents already claimed, and so forth).

In these cases, we recommend paper-filing by mail rather than wasting additional time trying to "fix" something that is beyond your control.

Trying to finish up and it keeps saying my SSN is wrong but I’ve checked my card and my job payroll site and I’m definitely entering the correct number. It won’t let me continue and it gives no help option. What do I do?

LindaB1993
Expert Alumni

You may entered your SSN as the Employer Identification Number on Forms W-2, Forms 1099-R, etc.

Recheck the "Personal Tab" and the revisit the W-2 identifying numbers.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

None of the solutions, that I can interpret, are for the issue i am experiencing. Is there any way of speaking with someone?

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

To help get you connected to the right person for assistance, please click the link below. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
szana1951

I’m 70 yrs old I’ve had same SS# all my life!!!

every time I enter my ss# to get stimulus it says INVALID ughh it’s NOT invalid!!

it’s same number I’ve had for over 55 yrs !!!

szana1951

Aghhhhh

it is the CORRECT NUMBER 

ur no help 

@szana1951 If your e-file is rejected for a duplicate or wrong SSN you cannot e-file.    It is possible that someone claimed you as a dependent or that someone used your SSN by mistake.  But the rejection for a duplicate Social Security number comes from the IRS.  You cannot defeat that.    If you have double checked and you entered your SSN correctly and the return is being rejected for the SSN, then you have to print, sign and mail your return.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@szana1951 wrote:

I’m 70 yrs old I’ve had same SS# all my life!!!

every time I enter my ss# to get stimulus it says INVALID ughh it’s NOT invalid!!

it’s same number I’ve had for over 55 yrs !!!

If you are entering it on the IRS website then contact the IRS or SSA to verify that there is not an error in the records.   The IRS matches SSN's against the SSA database.     TurboTax has nothing to do with the third stimulus, only the first two that would be reported on your 2020 1040 tax return, line 30 of you have not received them

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies