Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm putting in my crypto information into TurboTax, but do I have to do anything special since one of the exchanges I used is KuCoin which isn't based in the USA?

I used two crypto exchanges, (Coinbase and KuCoin) but I'm wondering if I have to input information from each separately or if there's any additional forms I have to do since KuCoin isn't based in the US.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
RaifH
Expert Alumni

I'm putting in my crypto information into TurboTax, but do I have to do anything special since one of the exchanges I used is KuCoin which isn't based in the USA?

Under current law, cryptocurrency is considered property and not currency. Therefore, it would not count as foreign income, even if the exchange is overseas. The laws regarding cryptocurrency are evolving and it is possible this could change. See section 4 question 2 of this IRS notice and see this IRS page for more guidance relating to cryptocurrency. 

If you maintain a US dollar balance on the exchange, that is not virtual currency and does need to be reported if the balance exceeded $10,000 at any point during the year. See this page for more guidance on the FBAR report. That report is not part of your income tax and needs to be electronically filed separately here.  

If your currency exceeded $50,000 on December 31, 2021 or $75,000 at any point during the year, you may have to file Form 8938 with your tax return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies