mekas1976

I'm married filing head of household my husband is disabled and he is also my dependent because I take care of him so how would I file

NO.  You cannot claim a spouse as a dependent,  You file a joint tax return.  And so you understand--Head of Household is not a "better" filing status for you.  It would not get you a bigger refund.

If you were legally married at the end of 2019 your filing choices are married filing jointly or married filing separately.

Married Filing Jointly is usually better, even if one spouse had little or no income. When you file a joint return, you and your spouse will get the married filing jointly standard deduction of $24,400 (+$1300 for each spouse 65 or older)  You are eligible for more credits including education credits, earned income credit, child and dependent care credit, and a larger income limit to receive the child tax credit.

"head of household" is a filing status used if you and your spouse lived apart for at least the last six months of the tax year, and if you were the one paying over half the support for your children.  The standard deduction is money you do not pay tax on -- and it is LESS for Head of Household than it is for a joint return.  So you would pay MORE tax if you filed HOH.

And you say you live with your spouse.  You are not Head of Household. You cannot file that way.   File a joint return.

NCperson

answer the questions in TT and it will guide you to the appropriate filing status.  How did you conclude to file HOH?  

mekas1976

Thank you so much you have been very helpful also have one more question if he's on disability and he owes back taxes from where he used to work befor he became disabled will that affect my taxes if we file married-jointly?

NCperson

filing jointly has the best chance of LOWERING your taxes.  

you can not file HOH nor single as you are legally married and living with your husband.

Filing MFS is a bad deal - many other posts explaining all the pitfalls.  96% of married couples file MFJ. 

mekas1976

NCperson I'm just trying to figure out how I should file 

@mekas1976 wrote:

If he has a tax debt then the IRS will seize the tax refund when you file a joint tax return.  The IRS will apply the refund to the back taxes owed and if the refund satisfies the debt then the IRS will send the remainder of the tax refund to you.  If the refund does not satisfy the debt then the IRS will send you a bill in the mail requesting payment.

You can submit a Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation with your joint tax return to prevent the IRS from seizing your portion of the federal tax refund.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for a Form 8379 - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-file-form-8379-injured-spouse-allocation/0...