turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

007vb69

I'm filing my taxes but I live with my daughter they're saying I can't file head of household so I don't know to Do. How do I get around that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I'm filing my taxes but I live with my daughter they're saying I can't file head of household so I don't know to Do. How do I get around that?

If you don't meet the requirements to file as head of household, then you don't "get around that." You have to file as single (assuming you are not married).

To file as head of household, all three of the following must be true. (These requirements are somewhat abbreviated, based on your particular situation.)

1. You must be unmarried or "considered unmarried"
on the last day of 2019.

2. You must have paid more than half the cost of keeping
up a home for the year.

3. A qualifying person must have lived with you in the
home for more than half the year.

You didn't give any details about the members of your household, but your daughter is probably not a qualifying person unless you can claim her as a dependent. And saying that you live with your daughter suggests that she, not you, paid more than half the cost of keeping up the home.

If you don't meet all three requirements, you cannot file as head of household.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The laws are very clear on which member of the family can claim head of household. I suggest you take this short, online, anonymous IRS quiz to determine which of you qualifies. What Is My Filing Status? In addition, maybe you can claim someone or they can claim you, see Whom May I Claim as a Dependent?

@rjs answer just popped up, excellent answer, right above my post.Please see it for details.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies