turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm a RI res who works in MA. I have 2 W-2's, the MA W-2 has all boxes filled. The RI W-2 has no info for boxes 1-13, only BOX 16 & 17. Cant E-File this year, why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChrisJ

I'm a RI res who works in MA. I have 2 W-2's, the MA W-2 has all boxes filled. The RI W-2 has no info for boxes 1-13, only BOX 16 & 17. Cant E-File this year, why?

You cannot e-file returns where the W-2 box 1 is blank or box 16 exceeds box 1

You may want to contact the issuer of the form to determine whether this form is accurate and complete. Otherwise - you can file, but you must file by mail.

To change your filing method:

1. Sign In - Continue your/take me to my return
  2. Go to File (upper right)
  3. (Complete Steps 1 and 2) Start Step 3
  4. Select File by mail to open the Change filing methods window. Choose from E-file, File by mail, or I'm not ready to file for federal and all of your states.

E-file
    : Continue to Transmit (my) Returns Now. When you see Transmission Successful, you're done! 
    File By Mail: Print off your finalized return - mail it to the address provided on your Filing Instructions 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ChrisJ

You cannot e-file returns where the W-2 box 1 is blank or box 16 exceeds box 1

You may want to contact the issuer of the form to determine whether this form is accurate and complete. Otherwise - you can file, but you must file by mail.

To change your filing method:

1. Sign In - Continue your/take me to my return
  2. Go to File (upper right)
  3. (Complete Steps 1 and 2) Start Step 3
  4. Select File by mail to open the Change filing methods window. Choose from E-file, File by mail, or I'm not ready to file for federal and all of your states.

E-file
    : Continue to Transmit (my) Returns Now. When you see Transmission Successful, you're done! 
    File By Mail: Print off your finalized return - mail it to the address provided on your Filing Instructions 
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies