mgs3797147

I'm a non-resident alien from the Netherlands with J1 visa status. I received a stipend ($2000). Is it enough to send W8BEN to the stipend payer and 8843 to the IRS?

The Netherlands has a tax treaty with the US, waiving the need to pay taxes on stipends with a maximum of $2000. I understand I need to send W8BEN to the payer of the stipend, but it's unclear to me what I should send to the IRS. Is it enough to send form 8843? It does not mention income at all, so I'm not sure whether this form alone is sufficient. Thanks very much! I've been emailing/calling/browsing for over 2 weeks without any result.
Vanessa

TurboTax does not handle the 1040NR.  You will need to contact our partner site Sprintax.com as they specialize in the nonresident alien forms.