turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I lived in OR for 3 1/2 years, then moved here to NY less than 6 months ago. Should I file these two separately?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I lived in OR for 3 1/2 years, then moved here to NY less than 6 months ago. Should I file these two separately?

Yes.  You will be filing part-year resident returns for both Oregon and New York.  Oregon will tax all of your income earned while you were living in Oregon, and New York will tax the income you earned after moving to New York.  Your Oregon income does not get combined with your New York income to be declared on one state return, they are filed as two separate state returns.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Yes.  You will be filing part-year resident returns for both Oregon and New York.  Oregon will tax all of your income earned while you were living in Oregon, and New York will tax the income you earned after moving to New York.  Your Oregon income does not get combined with your New York income to be declared on one state return, they are filed as two separate state returns.

How do I file these separately on TurboTax?

In the MY INFO section you will indicate you are now a resident of NY and earned money in OR as well. Then when you get to the STATE tab you will complete each state interview one screen at a time ... read each screen and trust in the system.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You prepare a part-year Oregon return, and then when you are finished you may select "Add a State" to prepare the NY part-year return.  Start with Oregon since you lived in NY last.

Okay, I am so confused. So, I originally filled in my NY W2 under Federal with the two jobs I also had from OR, and my return dropped. I also did fill out part time residency for both of these when it came to state. Confused about the drop, I thought filing separately meant that I needed to take the NY one OFF of my Federal and do my OR one, THEN I'd have a chance to do a Federal for NY, but I guess that's not how it works??? I still did the part time residency information and that checked out, and my return went up. I guess tax bracket difference between the two states? But now I OWE NY!!!
I don't know if that's correct, or if I need to add the NY one back on the Federal area/tab WITH my OR ones too? Or just file NY under state? I'm so confused.

EDIT: I went ahead and added it back onto my Federal. It is after all a W2 and you have to report ALL W2's, yes? So it's probably best I do it. Don't wanna get flagged by the IRS. I also still owe NY for some reason... but it's less this time at least. : /

Ok ... yes all income must be reported on the federal return ... and then complete both part year state returns with all the income still in tact ...

Why did my refund drop when I entered a second W-2?

Most people see their refund go down, sometimes by a lot, after entering a second W-2. This is because we start you off with the full standard deduction, which we subtract from the income you’ve entered so far. This usually gives you an artificially low taxable income at first, which translates to an artificially high refund. Let’s take a closer look with an example:

Let’s say Jose has two W-2s from two different employers with identical amounts: each has $16,000 in wages and $1,600 in federal withholdings. His gross income for the year is $32,000, with total withholdings of $3,200.

After he enters his first W-2, we subtract his standard deduction of $12,000 from his wages of $16,000, for a total taxable income (so far) of $4,000, which puts him in the lowest tax bracket (10%). We subtract his $400 tax from the $1,600 withholding, and Jose sees a $1,200 refund in his refund monitor. So far, so good.

Now Jose enters his second W-2. Because he got $1,200 back on his first W-2, he expects to get another $1,200 for the second one, increasing his refund to $2,400. But much to his dismay, he sees his refund drop a couple hundred bucks to $990 after entering the second W-2. How could this happen? We’ll explain.

After entering his second W-2, Jose's gross income increased to $32,000, but his standard deduction of $12,000 remained the same. His taxable income (gross income minus the standard deduction) increased to $20,000, which also bumped him up to the 12% tax bracket. Per the IRS tax table, the tax on $20,000 for a single filer like Jose is $2,210. Subtracted from his $3,200 withholdings, he should get $990 back – just like TurboTax says.

Keep in mind: The Deductions & Credits section is yet to come; we’ll walk you through it after you’ve finished entering all of your income. Your refund amount gets more accurate as you go along and will stop fluctuating once you've finished entering all of your information.

Related Information:

·         Why doesn't my refund increase when I enter a deduction?

Now for NY ... there is 2 ways to determine your taxes and NY uses the worse way ... you are only taxed on the part year return income however they use the total income vs NY income % based system so when you removed the other state income the NY taxes went down ....  review the NY return carefully to see how they compute the taxes. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies