turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I lived in both MN and CO in 2019, my W2 shows my total wages for the year were earned in MN, not just the wages from before i moved to CO. Do i need a corrected W2?

Should I have continued to pay state taxes to MN after I relocated? I believe my W2 should have shown (Total Wages - CO wages) = MN wages. This error is leaving a major shortage in taxes paid to MN, which I would like to avoid.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I lived in both MN and CO in 2019, my W2 shows my total wages for the year were earned in MN, not just the wages from before i moved to CO. Do i need a corrected W2?

If you worked for the same employer in both states you will need a W-2 that correctly shows the wages earned in each jurisdiction.  If it was different employers you will need a W-2 from each. 

You will also need to report wages in both states showing each state as a part-time resident.  You start with your state of residence and employer as of 12/31/19 and work backward toward the beginning of the year.

Carl
Level 15

If you did not inform the payroll department of whoever you work for of a change in your resident state, they had no reason to withhold taxes for your new state. You will still enter your W-2 "EXACTLY" as printed, because it is "IN FACT" correct as printed. They can't change your W-2 because it's not wrong. Your employer did "IN FACAT" withhold *AND* pay state taxes to MN for the year.

The important thing here is, you will be completing a part-year resident tax return for both states. It is *IMPORTANT* that you complete the state tax return for your *OLD* resident state *FIRST*. Then you do the return for your new resident state last. Both state returns will be a part-year resident return.

In the end, the program, based on *YOUR* import, will take care of splitting your tax liability between the two states. So don't be surprised to find that you are getting a refund from MN, and will owe that refunded amount (more or less) to CO since absolutely no taxes were withheld from your paychecks for CO.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies