Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kschuttler
Returning Member

I live in Texas. Taxes are not due to be filed until today, 15 June, and I need to file an extension but cannot via Turbo Tax. Please advise!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I live in Texas. Taxes are not due to be filed until today, 15 June, and I need to file an extension but cannot via Turbo Tax. Please advise!

You are too late to e-file an extension request   You could only e-file an extension request up through May 17.   Now the only way to request an extension (if you live in a state affected by the winter storm) is by mailing it by midnight tonight.   An extension will not give you extra time to pay tax owed.  It gives you extra time to prepare and file your Form 1040.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4868.pdf

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
kschuttler
Returning Member

I found the extension and was able to file electronically.  @Intuit Turbo Tax Social media team, please delete my original question and this request.  Thank you.

How were you able to efile it?  Even the IRS says you can't.

See the top of this IRS 

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/extension-of-time-to-file-your-tax-return

@kschuttler Sometimes we see users say they "filed an extension" when what they really mean is that they filed a TAX RETURN that they had requested an extension for.  So what did you e-file?   Did you e-file your 2020 tax return?    It would have been impossible to e-file a request for an extension today.

Did you e-file?  Did you click a big orange button that said “Transmit my returns now?”

When you e-file your federal return you will receive two emails from TurboTax.  The first one will say that your return was submitted.  The second email will tell you if your federal return was accepted or rejected.  If you e-filed a state return, there will be a third email to tell you if the state accepted or rejected your state return.

First, check your e-file status to see if your return was accepted: 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

If the IRS accepted it, what does it say here?  

https://www.irs.gov/refunds         

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
kschuttler
Returning Member

The State of Texas received an extension of time to file taxes (June 15) because of the severe storm.  

Yes, right.  Are you filing an extension or your actual tax return? The extension gives you yo Oct. 15, 2021 to file the tax return.

@kschuttler We are aware that you have an extension to file with a deadline of June 15---that is tonight at midnight in your time zone.   But you cannot e-file a request for an extension past June 15 now-----if you wanted to e-file an extension request the IRS required that form 4868  to be e-filed no later than May 17 along with everyone else who wanted an extension for their federal returns.   If you can print the form 4868 and get it postmarked tonight it will still be considered timely.    But you cannot e-file it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies