Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in Ohio. Does turbo tax do the city taxes along with state and federal

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Yes - TurboTax contains the tax forms for OH municipalities that belong to either RITA or the Central Collection Agency (CCA). 

TurboTax will guide you through the process of filing Ohio city and school district returns.

City Returns

TurboTax can prepare your RITA return (Form 37) or City Tax Form  (Form 120-16-IR) as part of the OH state interview.  Please follow these steps:

1. When preparing your OH return, you will come to a screen A few things before we wrap up your state taxes. 
  2. Scroll down to the Ohio city taxes section and click on the Start/Revisit box next to Ohio city taxes.
  3. On the Do you want to file your city income taxes? screen, mark the box for the type of return you wish to prepare.  Mark the appropriate box:  RITA or CCC  and click Continue.
    [Screenshot #2]
    Continue through the screens, entering the requested information, to prepare the city return.

Please keep in mind that these city forms cannot  be e-filed.  You must print them and mail them in.

School District Returns

Usually the School District return is e-filed with the state return, but there are exceptions. Read the "filing instructions" that TurboTax prepares -- it will tell you if the SD100 was e-filed or if you have to mail it.

To prepare an Ohio School District return:

1. In your OH return, continue to the screen A few things before we wrap up your state taxes.  
  2. Scroll down to the Ohio school district taxes section and click on the Start/Revisit box next to Ohio school district  taxes.
  3. The next screen, Let’s figure out if you need to file school district taxes, will help you determine if you need to file this return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

TurboTax Ohio state software supports all CCA and RITA. returns, close to 300 cities and municipalities in all. Visit each agency's website for a complete listing of CCA member communities and the RITA list.

Even then, TurboTax (TT) does not automatically prepare a city return, you must initiate it. At the screen, in the Ohio program, titled 

"A few things before we wrap up your state taxes"
      scroll down to Ohio City taxes. 
Or, later
"Your 2018 Ohio Taxes are ready for us to check"
    -Click Other situations
    -Scroll down to Ohio City taxes. 

TT cannot e-file an Ohio City or RITA return. It must be printed and mailed.

I actually find it easier to fill out a city return by hand or at the city, CCA or RITA web site, than to use TT. Things don't happen automatically and you need to know what you’re doing. The actual  RITA/city forms are easier to follow than the TT interview. There were major changes to the RITA form, this year.

http://www.ritaohio.com/

http://www.ccatax.ci.cleveland.oh.us/

For a list of all Ohio cities with an income tax go to

http://www.tax.ohio.gov/municipalities/municipal_income_tax_forms.aspx

from there there’s  links to each city's web site”

renner19

Every year, I keep trying this.  Every year there have been issues.  This year's findings (before I gave up):

* Only the first W2 is transferred to the RITA form (e.g. Spouse has to be manually entered again)

* It doesn't recognize any forms you already filled out such as 1099 or Schedule E --you get to enter all that information in again.

Then at the end of this journey you are still going to have to print and mail the form, hence it's easier to NOT use TurboTax for this.

PNR1

OHIO RITA tax form 37 line 6 calculation is wrong.  

The form says:  Multiply Line 5c by the credit factor of your resident municipality from
the tax table. Your resident municipality’s credit factor: 

Instead TurboTax seems to be multiplying Line 5b with the my resident municipality's credit factor which is leading to wrong calculations.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Please provide a diagnostic token so we can examine a sanitized version of your return will all personal information removed.

If you are using CD/Download, select Online in the top left, then Send Tax File to Agent.

If you are using TurboTax Online, tap Tax Tools in the left column. Then Tools. In the center box, select Share my file with Agent.If you are using CD/Download, select Online in the top left, then Send Tax File to Agent.

If you are using TurboTax Online, tap Tax Tools in the left column. Then Tools. In the center box, select Share my file with Agent.

@PNR1 

klopter

Is it possible to file city taxes through RITA even after I filed my state and federal taxes?  If so, how do you get back to that place in the Ohio return. 

PS I don't remember begin given the option to file my city taxes through Turbo Tax. (I would have said "Yes" is I were given the option.) 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Since it wasn't filed with the return, you can file it online with RITA here. 

@klopter 

klopter

This works. UInfortunately, I have to enter every bit of the W2s, etc. all over again. It turns out that one can get Turbo Tax back to the city tax by selecting "Add a state" which takes you back to your state returns and then clicking on the state return where the city tax is. The bad news is that Turbo Tax messed up my city tax in multiple ways. (Like including all my W2s from both 2022 & 2023.)  

klopter

I was wrong about the bug in Turbo Tax. I was including my income twice from each of my W2s because I pay taxes to two local entities: My school district and the city I live in. So there are two lines in boxes 18 & 19. This may be a rare occurence and hopefully they will fix this bug for next year. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies