Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

membarock

I live and work in Nevada but I own a home in Colorado

I own a home in Colorado but I do not live there. I live and work in Nevada but I do not own a home there. Which state should I file as a resident of?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Typically property ownership does not by itself cause you to be a resident of the state where you own property, nor does lack of owning property disallow you from being a resident. The main factors that dictate residence are more related to how you conduct your life. Things like amount of time you are spending per year in a location (and how long overall), in what location are your autos registered/insured, where are you registered to vote, etc. Another factor that might come into play in some discussions is whether you intend to relocate back to Colorado, making your time in Nevada "temporary".

Here's a link to some Nevada residency information: https://www.leg.state.nv.us/division/research/publications/factsheets/residency.pdf

One additional note: if you are renting out your home in Colorado, it is possible that you would need to file a Colorado non-resident return to report the rental income. I'm not sure about Colorado, but based on personal experience, I have to do this with a Michigan property.

if there is no revenue from the Colorado home , then only NV state return is required.

if there is revenue from the Colorado home, then you would have to file CO and NV, but do the CO return first as any income due CO is a credit to NV taxes.

Turbo tax can easily accommodate this

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies