Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am trying to upload tax forms from last year and no matter what I try, Turbo tax shuts down

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am trying to upload tax forms from last year and no matter what I try, Turbo tax shuts down

Are you using the online version of TurboTax for 2016 or the desktop version?   You indicated Online Deluxe by your username above and are using the term "upload."  And you didn't indicate otherwise when I asked you about Online TurboTax in my first comment above. So I've been assuming you are using the Online version, and that's what this answer addresses.

Copy the *.tax2015 data file from the flash drive to a folder on your computer such as the \My Documents folder.   Then try to upload it from that location.

See the screen images below on how to transfer the *.tax2015 data file into a new 2016 online return.  Note that if you already started a 2016 online, return you have to clear it and start over as part of the process.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Please describe what you are doing and how you are doing it.

Are you trying to transfer a *.tax2015 data file stored on your computer into a new 2016 online return?
Or are you trying to transfer a *.tax2015 data file prepared online last year into a new 2016 online return?

It is stored on a flash drive

I finally got it to download, thanks for your help

You're welcome.  Good luck!

Now I can't even start a new tax return, Turbo Tax just keeps shutting down

You can try a reinstall.  After uninstalling, try these steps:

You must install using Administrator privilege.
First disconnect from the Internet so you can safely disable your antivirus and firewall software programs.
Close any other open programs.
Doubleclick your download installation file to launch the installation.
After installing, be sure to re-enable your antivirus and firewall programs before connecting back up to the Internet.
Reboot (restart) your computer.
Open TurboTax and run the updater.

I left you some info above if you try to reinstall.

If you continue to have trouble, here's how you can phone TurboTax Support for realtime assistance:

Use the form at this link to be assigned a phone number. The number will not display when they are closed.  This time of year they are open 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern)  7 days/week.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact">https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact</a>

Are you using the online version of TurboTax for 2016 or the desktop version?   You indicated Online Deluxe by your username above and are using the term "upload."  And you didn't indicate otherwise when I asked you about Online TurboTax in my first comment above. So I've been assuming you are using the Online version, and that's what this answer addresses.

Copy the *.tax2015 data file from the flash drive to a folder on your computer such as the \My Documents folder.   Then try to upload it from that location.

See the screen images below on how to transfer the *.tax2015 data file into a new 2016 online return.  Note that if you already started a 2016 online, return you have to clear it and start over as part of the process.

It is giving me fits again today. I downloaded Turbo Tax Deluxe after I paid for it. I was able to do my sisters and mine and now it won't let me do my mom's. I have moved the folder from my flash drive to My Documents and every time I try to find it my Turbo Tax shuts down
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies