turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

l2edmjmc

I keep getting an error code that my turbo tax has been activiated 5 times already. I only have it on 1 PC . it keeps asking for the activiation code.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

93 Replies

I keep getting an error code that my turbo tax has been activiated 5 times already. I only have it on 1 PC . it keeps asking for the activiation code.

TurboTax License Activation every time TurboTax 2019 launches

Some TurboTax Desktop users who have installed and activated the License number may have been prompted multiple times for activation, and the program not launching.

Who Is Impacted?

The Following users may be impacted by this error

• Using TurboTax Desktop 2019
  • Have successfully activated the License
  • Being prompted to activate every time the program launches
  • Activation code is valid
  • the program never opens after activation

Resolution

The root cause we have found for this error is the internet connection is unable to resolve connection to our server for activation of the License. There can be many reasons for this and it may not impact regular internet usage and activity.

To resolve this issue please follow the steps below to fix.If the below steps resolve your issue TurboTax will skip activation and open to the main getting started page.

If the product continues to prompt activation you have been unsuccessful.

Method 1: Temporarily Disable Your Antivirus/Anti-Malware/Firewall Software

• Disabling software that can block our program from connecting to our activation server can quickly resolve this issue.
  • You may also want to work with the provider of your software to assist in whitelisting TurboTax to allow it to connect to the internet.
  • This includes disabling Proxy connections and VPN connections to the internet.

Method 2: Restart your Router/Modem

1. Remove the power cord from the router and modem.
  2. Wait at least 10 seconds after all lights on the router have gone out.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the router

Method 3: Configure the TCP/IP settings

*Disclaimer*  These settings are typically the default settings for most users, however, if you are an advanced user,and have made changes regarding Internet protocol settings please follow these steps:

1. Select Start > Control Panel.
  2. Select View network status and tasks under Networking and Internet.
  3. Select Change adapter settings.
  4. Press and hold (or right-click)  Local Area Connection, and then select Properties.
  5. Select Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) > Properties.
  6. Select Obtain an IPv6 address automatically > Obtain DNS servers address automatically > OK.
  7. Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) > Properties.
  8. Select Obtain an IP address automatically > Obtain DNS servers address automatically > OK.

Method 4: IP Config Command Line Tool

*Disclaimer*: These steps should be completed by an intermediate to advanced user of the Windows operating system. If you are not comfortable with making these changes please consult a local IT professional.

1. Select Start, type command prompt in the Search Programs and files box, press and hold (or right-click) Command Prompt, and then select Run as administrator.
  2. At the command prompt, type the following commands. Press Enter after each command.
  • ipconfig /flushdns.
  • ipconfig /registerdns
  • ipconfig /release
  • ipconfig /renewTry Launching TurboTax.

If you are still experiencing issues after following these steps. please contact a local support technician for additional assistance.

What BS.  This is Inuit at work to make taxes a little more miserable.  I've been using Home and Business for six weeks and all of a sudden I need my activation code again.  20 wasted minutes to comply with a request that should never have happened.  This is on Intuit.

Nice try but no cigar. None of this fixed the problem. Going back to H&R Block - cheaper, more intuitive, faster, support fatter and more responsive.

The internet supposed causes for this issue are bogus.  WE have it installed on two PCs, sitting side by side, connected by ether net to same router. In other words, connected to same way, using same anti-malware, etc.

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@ocostich1  For assistance with this, please contact TurboTax and speak with an agent.  TurboTax customer service/support does not have a single phone number but has many different phone numbers based on the type of platform used.  So that we can direct your call to the best person/department to help you:

1. Click on this link: Contact Us
  2. Select your TurboTax platform.  
  3. Ask your question / state your problem.  Do NOT use the word "refund' or you will get a phone number for tax refunds.
  4. Click Submit.
  5. On the next screen, choose the Call option and follow the instructions.  You will be given the approximate wait time.  

You'll get a toll-free number to a TurboTax expert who is specially-trained to handle your particular issue.

"Irene2805 Employee Tax Expert"

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That link does NOT work. Does TurboTax have the corona virus???? I'm returning product to store for replacement maybe that will work

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

@FUWhuflu

We apologize the link provided to you does not work to contact us please use this link: https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Here is what worked for me on Windows 10:

• Close TurboTax 2019 if open;
  • Open File Explorer and navigate to the following folder:

C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Intuit\TurboTax 

• Delete or rename (just in case) TY19 folder under it to anything you want as it will be recreated on next TurboTax 2019 start; 
  • Start TurboTax 2019;
  • Input License Code when prompted and click Activate Now.

It should work.

It appears that the configuration/database that are stored in that folder are getting corrupted or become incompatible (perhaps due to entity changes) after certain updates. Maybe this folder needs to be always regenerated upon update?

OMG ! ! ! ! thank you so much.   Spent over 2 1/2 hours with support yesterday with no resolution.   My computer is windows 7 upgraded to 10 so had to search around to find the file to rename.   did what you said and the license number took.  

Unbelievable that support couldn't provide this info.  

I am greatly indebted to you.  

GREAT JOB!   Thank you so much.  

I already did contact TurboTax support. That was the first thing I did. They had NO solution, other than give me another activation code that would work 5 times and then die. It took hours to get someone who was no use. Clicking the contact link in your post  yields a new page that says 

"This site can’t be reached"

With support like this, why is TT still in business?

THANK YOU!! I spent HOURS trying to figure out why it would not start! Even when it did, it wouldn't take the Activation code. TurboTax had told me not to reenter a code because it will count as another computer but didn't tell me how to fix the problem!! Thanks again!!  Have a great day and stay safe!!

dfnd
Level 1

Where did you find the folder? I too upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10.

To see AppData folder under your profile folder (C:\Users\<your user name> - where <your user name> is your actual user name on your machine), you may need to click View tab/menu in File Explorer and check Hidden items in Show/hide section. AppData is a hidden folder.

dfnd
Level 1

Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies