Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have the simplest of taxes, only 1 w2 , and only made 12,600 . Why do I have to pay to file my taxes

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I have the simplest of taxes, only 1 w2 , and only made 12,600 . Why do I have to pay to file my taxes

-Use this IRS site for other ways to file for free.  There are 8  free software versions available from the IRS Free File site

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
ggshort
Returning Member

You don't.  Go to TurboTax.com and don't ask for audit defense or anything else and you can file complete and file your taxes for free.  I just helped my daughter do it last week.  A friend had the same comment to me and when he went back to the start he had to make sure he clicked the right boxes (I think it is audit defense or something like that) and boom, it was free.  

ggshort
Returning Member

www.turbotax.com

click "I have a job (w-2)"

Pick "do your own taxes" at the bottom of the screen.  

They only charge for simple returns if you click "Assisted".

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies