turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

azhen3141

I have received postdoctoral fellowship from NIH for 2016, which is not included in my W2, where do I report the income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
GeoffreyG

I have received postdoctoral fellowship from NIH for 2016, which is not included in my W2, where do I report the income?

Academic institutions, research facilities, and certain government agencies (like the National Institutes of Health) will often do that, especially at the graduate and postdoctoral levels.  It would be really helpful if all schools and programs would take the time to issue actual tax documents, but not all do.  It's certainly not an uncommon occurrence; but yes, the fellowship income you receive is still considered taxable compensation.  As such, you do (legally) need to declare it and report it on your income tax return.

This can be accomplished in the TurboTax program, both in the online (web-based) software as well as in the desktop versions of the program.

The mechanical steps to do so are outlined at the following AnswerXchange post from a few years ago:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2638576-how-to-report-a-fellowship-stipend

Those general processes remain accurate for the current (2016) tax year of the TurboTax program (i.e., either of those described will work just the same).

Both as a test of this, and as demonstrable proof for this answer, I ran a (hypothetical) academic fellowship of $3,000 through the federal tax program.  In fact, I did it in both of the ways described on that other post, and the results came out just as expected, without any errors present.  (Please see the attached screen-capture image for a visual aid; simply click to open.)  As desired, the notation "SCH" appeared on Line 7 of Form 1040, and the $3,000 test amount was added to taxable wages.

I have full confidence that this method will work for your tax return, too.  Just substitute the annual fellowship income total you have from your personal records for the $3,000 used in the demonstration example.  The good news is that, while your fellowship income is taxable as ordinary income, at least you do not have to pay Social Security and Medicare taxes on it, as you would if the income were alternatively taxed as ordinary W-2 wages.

Thank you for asking this important question, and good luck with your professional activities.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies