turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bobjames

I have read long term capital gains tax is zero (mar filing joint) if your income is less than 78,750. Is the income your adjusted gross income or your taxable income?

this is for agricultural land owned more than 5 years

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

I have read long term capital gains tax is zero (mar filing joint) if your income is less than 78,750. Is the income your adjusted gross income or your taxable income?

Taxable income, line 10 of form 1040.

The actual threshold is $78,950.

Using an example: your line 10 is $80,000 and that includes $10,000 long term capital gain (LTCG).  $1050 (80,000-78950) of your LTCG will be taxed at 15% and $8950 will be taxed at 0%.

Turbotax will prepare the "Qualified Dividends and capital gains work sheet" to show the tax calculation. In some cases, a Schedule D worksheet will be used, instead.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Taxable income, line 10 of form 1040.

The actual threshold is $78,950.

Using an example: your line 10 is $80,000 and that includes $10,000 long term capital gain (LTCG).  $1050 (80,000-78950) of your LTCG will be taxed at 15% and $8950 will be taxed at 0%.

Turbotax will prepare the "Qualified Dividends and capital gains work sheet" to show the tax calculation. In some cases, a Schedule D worksheet will be used, instead.

you probably misread it.
Do a trial return in TurboTax and you will get the answer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies