Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have reached my efile limit of 5. Can I purchase another download for additional 5 tax returns on the same computer?

I have reached my efile limit of 5. Can I purchase another download for additional 5 tax returns on the same computer?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Purchasing another desktop edition and installing it on the same computer will not provide another 5 federal e-files.  You would also have to uninstall the TurboTax program for the same tax year as the new software being installed.

The number of federal e-files available to a user of the personal tax preparation software is set by IRS rules.  Any tax returns beyond the 5 that were e-filed can be printed and mailed.

I purchased and downloaded another copy of Turbotax Home & Bus version (same as the version I already bought).  

I uninstalled any older version before I install the new download. Still got same message. So Frustrating as I would like to do my own as E-file. I only need one more E-file. 

- What can I do ?  Any help is appreciated.  (I think the download was linked to my previous license key as I used same email, I does show I have 2 purchases with different license keys).

Really frustrating.  

The five federal e-file limit is an IRS limit and you cannot get around it.   Sorry--it sounds like you used all of your e-files for other people and now you are the one who has to file by mail.  No good deed goes unpunished.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Prior to download, I called the 800 number for tech support. They told yes I can make another purchase

and continue my returns.

They basically made me pay 2 times for the same software without resolution. Seems unfair to do that. I also saw posting here that says download / purchase another copy.

After using Turbotax for 25+ years, no longer a fan.

@Mikehs You received incorrect advice from them.  Seek a refund for the second copy of the software, which will be useless to you.

To request a refund from TT ;  https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/forms/refund-request.jsp

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies