Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have legal custody of my son, have always live with me.Dad pays 100 weekly for child support.He claim our son on his tax as dependent without asking me.

I found out when my tax child credit was denied because child was claimed already by somebody else...i did not signed any form for his dad, he didnt even tell me he was going to claim him.. what do i do. I paid private insuramce for more than 6 months.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have legal custody of my son, have always live with me.Dad pays 100 weekly for child support.He claim our son on his tax as dependent without asking me.

You will need to print and mail your return to get the credits for your child.  The IRS will then use the Tie Breaker Rules to determine who gets to claim him.

If your son lived with you for the entire 12 months, then you would be the one only one who could claim him as a qualifying child since one of the criteria is the child has to live with you for more than half of the year.  Child support does not determine who gets to claim the child. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You will need to print and mail your return to get the credits for your child.  The IRS will then use the Tie Breaker Rules to determine who gets to claim him.

If your son lived with you for the entire 12 months, then you would be the one only one who could claim him as a qualifying child since one of the criteria is the child has to live with you for more than half of the year.  Child support does not determine who gets to claim the child. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have the 3949 A form ready to send it with school and address proof that my son lives with me...will this help? Or has to be my tax return?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies