turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Payment of professional insurance claim taxable?

I am a self employed sales rep. One of my suppliers never payed me. I won a judgement against him and he filed for Chapter 7. I have professional insurance and submitted the claim to them as an uncollectable acct receivable. If they pay the claim is the payment a taxable event? I was not able to deduct the nonpayment of receivables on my taxes as I use cash basis. I look forward to anyone's comments. Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes it is taxable ... they paid you instead of the client ... either way you still got paid. The prior uncollectible acct is now collected via the insurance payout.... they will most likely be sending a 1099-misc for that income. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Yes it is taxable ... they paid you instead of the client ... either way you still got paid. The prior uncollectible acct is now collected via the insurance payout.... they will most likely be sending a 1099-misc for that income. 

what type of insurance reimburses you for uncollectable acct receivables?  I don't remember seeing that as something my business insurance covers, is this something extra you need to add?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

I have Hartford professional liability ins. It has a clause that will pay for uncollectable accts receivable

It was a standard clause. I did not pay extra for it. I'm waiting for Hartford to reply to my claim.

Interesting...I'll have to read my policy closer!  thank you!

I rec'd a call back from the claims agent. This would not be a covered loss. The loss would have to be a result of something like a fire etc. that destroyed your records or something like that. It was worth a try. Thanks

Thank you for confirming this.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies