Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a question about my 1 free state return. I get one free state return, but when I get to the transmit return screen, Is asked to pay a fee. Please explain.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

I have a question about my 1 free state return. I get one free state return, but when I get to the transmit return screen, Is asked to pay a fee. Please explain.

A "free state return" means you can prepare one state tax return in TurboTax at no charge. That return can then be printed and filed by mail at no cost.

There is, however, a charge for e-filing a state tax return. 

View solution in original post

10 Replies
ToddL

A "free state return" means you can prepare one state tax return in TurboTax at no charge. That return can then be printed and filed by mail at no cost.

There is, however, a charge for e-filing a state tax return. 

steve5c

Sneaky
may_t5

Very sneaky. Wish I would have read this before paying

The original post was from TT Online. The answer refers to TT Desktop.
j-hines1

Very underhanded....just experienced this myself with the Amazon downloaded product.
Eukaryote86
Returning Member

You can actually get as many free state filings as you need but only if you print out your state return and mail it off. If ANY user wants to e-file a state return, it is $24.99 (regardless of if you're the first user).

The claims on the packaging are definitely confusing, even misleading. For the longest time, I and others thought you got one free state filing. Really it is one free state DOWNLOAD. Meaning if you download software for California state, your remaining 4 users also can download California state software for free. If you have to file in another state, then it's $44.99 for each additional state software download. Your one free state software download can be done on different devices, including tablets. Hope that helps! I made sure with a TurboTax customer service representative. 

TurboTax can definitely be more clear about their services. All these commercials saying they're free free free hooks people at first. I felt duped wasting my time only to be told at the end I'd need to pay $60 for TurboTax Deluxe plus another $50 for state. I ended up deciding to buy Home and Business and split it with four other people. Much much cheaper. 

I am just experiencing this myself! 4 returns, thought 1 was free - guess not! But I also paid 2 last week @$25 each, and today the 3rd and 4th are $20? Very confusing.

BBKB
Level 1

Great answers posted already. Misleading for sure. In past years, we just printed off our "free" prepared state return and mailed it in, since there's no cost to do that. This year (for 2021 taxes), we went ahead and paid the $20 fee to have it electronically filed.  Charging the $20 e-file fee to a credit card brings no extra charges by TurboTax. BUT if you want the e-file fee deducted from your expected refund, there is a hefty additional convenience charge from TurboTax!

Very clear explanation, thanks. But very underhanded of TT.

Jwehritz

This promotion “1 free state return” is very deceptive.  After several years, I never get a free filing because I  always ended up paying to file my state return, when I believe it is free.  Trying to contact TurboTax is not very easy.  I patiently wait for the day I can switch to another program.  TurboTax is dishonest to its users.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies