turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a professionally trained guard dog, is that a home security writeoff?

What expenses related to the dog can I use on my taxes?  training, medical, food etc?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

I have seen information that a guard dog can be used as a business expense when used to guard a business, but not when used to guard your home. 

Similarly, the cost of a security system for a business is a business expense, but when the security system is in your home it is a personal expense and not deductible.  However, if there is a home office, then a portion of the security system would be deductible proportional to the size of the home office. 

From the perspective of the IRS, if you were to claim a portion of your expenses for the guard dog along with a home office, then you would also need to be able to prove that the dog was not also a family pet but it is strictly a guard dog.  I believe it would be unlikely to be allowed. 

Take a look at the following article for some guidance about what expenses may be claimed for a guard dog – the section toward the end of the article (Working Pets?) covers guard dogs:  http://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-deductions-and-credits-2/is-this-deductible-adopting-a-pet-18124...

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

I have seen information that a guard dog can be used as a business expense when used to guard a business, but not when used to guard your home. 

Similarly, the cost of a security system for a business is a business expense, but when the security system is in your home it is a personal expense and not deductible.  However, if there is a home office, then a portion of the security system would be deductible proportional to the size of the home office. 

From the perspective of the IRS, if you were to claim a portion of your expenses for the guard dog along with a home office, then you would also need to be able to prove that the dog was not also a family pet but it is strictly a guard dog.  I believe it would be unlikely to be allowed. 

Take a look at the following article for some guidance about what expenses may be claimed for a guard dog – the section toward the end of the article (Working Pets?) covers guard dogs:  http://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-deductions-and-credits-2/is-this-deductible-adopting-a-pet-18124...

Manage cookies