turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Backdoor Roth IRA: Roth IRA Contribution Too High

2019 was my first year contributing to an IRA. Through Fidelity I am contributing to a backdoor Roth IRA. Mid 2019 I created a Traditional IRA and created a Roth IRA. I contributed exactly $6,000 into my Traditional IRA and then converted all $6,000 into a Roth IRA.
** For some reason one of my dividends, before I turned on DRIP, put $2.36 into my Traditional IRA**

I believe I am reporting everything correctly but I am receiving the two warning errors.
"Income Too High To Deduct IRA Contribution"
"Your Roth Contribution Was Too High"

So this is what I did....
Federal Taxes
   > Wages & Income
      > Retirement Plans & Social Security - IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals
          Fidelity auto populated this for me.
          1- Gross Distribution: $6,000
          2a - Taxable Amount: $6,000
          2b - Check Boxes [x] Taxable amount not determined [x] Total Distribution

7 - Select Codes: 2 - Early Distribution
          [x] IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box is checked on my copy of the 1099-R

- What did you do with the money? [x] I converted all of this money to a Roth IRA Account.

- Any Nondeductible Contributions to Your IRA?  [x] Yes, I made and tracked nondeductible.
  - Value of Traditional IRA on Dec 31, 2019?   $2.36   (because that dividend got put there)
  - Tell us the value of your Roth IRA as of December 31, 2019: $6,000 (since I converted it all)

Deductions & Credits
   > Retirements & Investments - Traditional & Roth IRA Contributions
       > Select the kind of IRA(s) you own or will contribute to for 2019.

[x] Traditional

[x] Roth

> Tell us how much you contributed to Traditional IRA: $6,000

> Switched, re characterized over to a Roth IRA? NO
       > Any nondeductible contributions prior to 2018? NO
       > Tell us the value of all your Traditional IRA Accounts: $2.36 (cause of the dividend)
   > Roth IRA Contributions
       > Did you make a Roth IRA contribution for 2019? YES
       > Enter Roth IRA contributions, even if transferred or re characterized: $6,000

> Tell us the value of your Roth IRA as of December 31, 2019: $6,000

- I receive the MAGI too high notice.
       - I receive the Roth Contribution was too high. I contributed $6k to Roth and $6k to Traditional.

- You currently have a penalty.

For some reason my Federal Refund dropped ~$400 after all this.

Additional Notes for extreme detail:
For Fidelity I actual have 3 Accounts:

Account 1: Traditional IRA   (Received a 1099-R and a 5498)

Account 2: Roth IRA   (Received a 5498)
     Account 3: Fidelity GO (professionally managed Roth IRA, NO documents)

When I first created the Trad/Roth IRA accounts, it wanted me to self manage my Roth account. I asked Fidelity and they said if I wanted them to manage my Roth, I would have to create a 3rd account (the Fidelity GO account). So I technically transfer money into my Traditional IRA, convert to my Roth IRA, then transfer it to my Fidelity GO Roth account.

Account 1: Traditional IRA 5498: IRA Contribution: $6,000
                                                           Fair Market Value of Account: $2.36

Account 2: Roth IRA 5498 (the first Roth Account I use BEFORE I trade it to the Fidelity GO):

Roth IRA conversion amount: $6,000
                                                          Fair Market Value of account: $0.00

NO tax papers for Fidelity GO Roth because "Your Fidelity Go account will not receive a tax form because the funds were merely shifted from one Roth to another in our system. this transfer is not a tax event that would generate a tax form."

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

> Roth IRA Contributions
       > Did you make a Roth IRA contribution for 2019? YES
       > Enter Roth IRA contributions, even if transferred or re characterized: $6,000

This was your mistake.   You made no regular Roth IRA contributions.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

> Roth IRA Contributions
       > Did you make a Roth IRA contribution for 2019? YES
       > Enter Roth IRA contributions, even if transferred or re characterized: $6,000

This was your mistake.   You made no regular Roth IRA contributions.

Thank you for the quick response. That fixed it. Your help was very much appreciated.

krazycrow1789
Returning Member

Hi!  My earned income from w-2 form is one number in wages and income, and a different number in deductions and credits.  Why?     Bill B.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It depends.  It helps to think of earned income as money you work for, as opposed to passive income like interest, dividends, or rental income if you're not in the business of renting out properties.  

The IRS defines earned income as:

• Taxable income you earned as an employee, such as wages, salaries, commissions, and tips
  • Profits from operating your business or farm
  • Long-term disability pay, if received before the minimum retirement age
  • Union strike benefits

The IRS also gives you the option of treating nontaxable combat pay (code Q in box 12 of your W-2) as earned income for the Earned Income Credit (EIC).

The IRS defines unearned income as:

• Taxable income from investment-type income such as taxable interest, ordinary dividends, and capital gain distributions.
  • It also includes unemployment compensation, taxable social security benefits, pensions, annuities, cancellation of debt, and distributions of unearned income from a trust.

If you have more questions, please provide more clarification as to what types of income are on your tax return, and exactly where you see it under deductions and credits.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
krazycrow1789
Returning Member

Thanks!  My wife and I have an earned income of $9355.  When I get to the deductions and credits, I am told that our earned income is $6857, and that we have over paid into our Roth IRA's.  I can not find the deductions that would bring $9355 down to $6857. 

Please clarify:  on your W-2, Box 12, did you enter anything?  This would be under Deductions & Credits as regular personal IRA contributions items shown in box 12 of your W-2?  This would be the area that would affect the Roth deductions.

@krazycrow1789

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies