turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Meytor

I have a form ST-556 which is the "Sales Tax Transaction Return," where do i put this on my taxes

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

I have a form ST-556 which is the "Sales Tax Transaction Return," where do i put this on my taxes

If you are the buyer of a large item( vehicles, watercraft, aircraft, trailers, and mobile homes)  you can add that sales tax to your sales tax table amount to see if your sales tax paid is higher than your state income tax. Turbo Tax will compute which expense results in the higher deduction. The ST-556 should show the amount of sales tax paid on that purchase.

Go to Federal Taxes> Deductions and Credits>Taxes and choose Sales Tax. When you see the screen How do you want to enter your sales tax info? choose Easy Guide. After you enter your state's sales tax rate, you'll see the screen  Major Purchases. You will answer YES,  you  did make major purchases, and then you will be able to enter the information from your ST 556

If you are the seller, there is no place on your Federal Tax return to  enter this. Sales tax is collected at the time of the sale and remitted to the state, but it is not part of your income and there is no deduction for it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Taylatham

How do i file form ST-556 on turbotax?

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Illinois Form ST-556 is not an income tax form and is not included in your state tax return.  TurboTax does not support this form.

According to the Instructions for Form ST-556:

Form ST-556 can be filed electronically using MyTax Illinois at mytax.illinois.gov. The Illinois Department of Revenue also issues preprinted paper forms in limited quantities. You can request preprinted returns by calling our Central Registration Division at 217 785-3707. You can also request preprinted returns using MyTax Illinois. Note that preprinted forms display information for each of your business locations. Related sales and use tax forms are available on our website at tax.illinois.gov

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies