Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a farm which produces coastal hay, Is it better to depreciate items over time or take the complete deduction up front?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I have a farm which produces coastal hay, Is it better to depreciate items over time or take the complete deduction up front?

That is a debatable question.  If you have a lot of income when you purchase items, it might be better to take the deduction up front.

If income is constant, and you want to have a deduction against the income in the future, then electing to depreciate over time might be better.

It depends on financial status, income stream, do you want a big deduction now, or have some deduction(s) in the future. 

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**

I don't think anyone here can give an informed answer to that question.  Of course, some items must be expensed, and some items must be depreciated (although you may sometimes have a choice in how to depreciate them).  

One point to consider is that if you place an item in service and take some kind of accelerated depreciation, and then take the item out of service before the end of it's service life, you will create a taxable event.  

A second point to consider is that in an inflationary environment, today's money (or today's tax deduction) is worth more than the same dollars of future income or deductions.

But it would really require an analysis of your specific situation to give a knowledge answer. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies