Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a family Member on SSDI Disability, who doesn't have to file. However they got a mortgage interest form, should they file?

I have a family Member on SSDI Disability, who doesn't have to file. However they got a mortgage interest form, should they file?

Should they file taxes if they are not usually required to? their only income is SSDI disability income. And they have a small old house (value about 90k) where they get a mortgage interest statement.

Would there be any need or benefit for them to file? 

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If they are only receiving SS benefits, then their tax liability is zero.  There would be no point in reporting the mortgage interest and property taxes paid since it would not affect their tax return in any way.

They don’t have to file but some like to file anyway in case some sort of stimulus payment in the future is based on their filing. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies