Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ateliermj

I have a code 414H in box 14 on my W2.

I have a code 414H in box 14 on my W2.  This is my retirement contribution amount that I pay into my city employee retirement system.  Tubox tax does not allow me to enter this as a retirement contribution and doesn't recognize the code. It allows me to enter the code under the W2 info section as 'other' but I'm not sure how it is accounting for the dollar amount listed.  Where do I enter my retirement contribution to see if I qualify for a tax credit?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Just leave it as "Other", unless it is one of the state plans that shows up in the pulldown menu for the type...

The 414h contributions are not eligible for any deductions or credits you your federal tax return.

The contributions may not be taxed when you take the $$ out on retirement, but that's the only tax advantage you get for those..

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
ateliermj

Thanks for your reply and clarification!

then why is nys state rejecting it

For NY you have to select the correct 414H "tax Category" by editing the W-2 and going down to the box 14 area......there are two NY 414H types to select from......and you have to know which NY 414H type yours is.  We can't know that, and if you don't know, then you need to go to your payroll/HR people and find out.

and if that doesn't work
.................contact TurboTax Customer Support and talk to a real person to try to find and correct the problem....one-on-one.  

<a href="https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/</a>

Submit your question and then use the option to Call to speak directly with a TurboTax agent. (a phone number will be provided for Call, but it is displayed ONLY during the hours they are open..see below)

The hours are now....Every Day  5am-9pm Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern)
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

You must type in a description "414H" in Turbotax Online by the amount.   That way it will carry correctly to the NY return as an addback.   NY taxes the contribution when you enter it properly but does not tax distributions when you start taking them out.

When claiming an ira deduction would the 414h affect me. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies