alexresser

I have 2 w2's what happens if i dont file one?

The IRS gets that information and if you file without reporting the information on both of your W-2's that have your social security number on them, you will have a problem!  You need to report both W-2's on your return.
kevinspence44

I have already filed my w2,but forgot I have another coming by mail from my current employer. How would I go about filing it when I receive it?

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you just e-filed.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox
Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return. The IRS will begin processing returns on January 23, 2017.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return.
 If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and mail it in. You will need to use a form called a 1040X. You cannot e-file an amended return.  They have to be mailed, and it takes at least 3-4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.  Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed
Heather_Billings

If you don't report all of your income, then the IRS will send you a notice in the mail.  All tax forms are sent to both you and the IRS.  When you file a tax return the IRS matches the forms up with what you report on your tax return.  If something is missing (and a computer will always catch a W-2), then they'll send you a notice and also a bill for anything you owe.  If you have a refund, they probably won't bother letting you know (they're sneaky like that).

brandonpurnell16

What do you mean they probably won't bother letting you know? Will they just take the difference out and send the rest to you?
heather760

If you owe more money - they'll catch it!  And, yes, probably a 90% chance they'll take the difference out and send the rest to you.  If you are due more of a refund - they'll wait for you to request the additional refund by way of an amended return.
chicago2015champ

Will they still send the original refund? If another w2 you forgot to add would boost my current refund. For example with the w2 I used I'm getting a refund of 2715 and I added the other w2 after I filed (on a different website but didn't submit it) and it boosted it to 3695. Will I still get the original 2715 I already filed.
Heather_Billings

Yes, most likely.  Keep your eye on the site: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/Refunds">https://www.irs.gov/Refunds</a>  as your refund *might* be delayed a bit.
chicago2015champ

Thanks for answering I've been wondering for the past couple days cause I got another w2 I didn't think I was going to get. Should I file an amended return after I get my refund?
Heather_Billings

Yes, for both Federal and State.  (If you're lucky, the IRS/State will adjust your refund without you having to do anything... but I wouldn't hold my breath)
chicago2015champ

Okay thanks
keystothemachine

Honestly i've "forgot" many times and not once over the course of 10 years has the fed ever come knocking at my door. some years without reporting i was given back more tax money than i would have got if i filed both (which means i'd owe). It's all a matter of chance. i don't think the fed will be worried if you owe 100 bucks. People are so dramatic and fearful of the IRS when it's just like any other bureaucracy bogged down by pointless paper work trying to squeeze the american public for every lost drop it's worth some people get lost in the cracks.
chicago2015champ

I couple people I know got there's and I got accepted before they did I think on the 20th but still today my refund still hasn't been approved... I just hope I get them next week.
hopeash12353

I am thinking about filing back several years.