Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am moving turbotax to a new computer I have 2010 thru 2016 on my old computer what years prior to 2016 will run on windows 10?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am moving turbotax to a new computer I have 2010 thru 2016 on my old computer what years prior to 2016 will run on windows 10?

I had back to 2008 installed on my old W10 computer, and all worked after I upgraded from W7 to W10  (they were already installed when it was a W7 system).

But your issue will be  that when installing on the new one, you cannot get software updates for anything before 2014. So you may only be able to install 2014 and newer.

Certainly, if you have the "last" full installation download files for the earlier years, you could probably install those, but those do not have the state tax files, and those for 2013 and earlier are not available, so you wouldn't be able to open your 2013 and earlier tax files if you have any state file included.

So...make sure you convert all your 2013 and earlier tax files to PDF files before you move the files over to the new computer (two PDFs....one with just the Filing copy, and a second on with ALL the forms and calculation worksheets). That way you have full PDF copies of what was filed in those years.  (And PLEASE back them up off computer)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

2 Replies

I had back to 2008 installed on my old W10 computer, and all worked after I upgraded from W7 to W10  (they were already installed when it was a W7 system).

But your issue will be  that when installing on the new one, you cannot get software updates for anything before 2014. So you may only be able to install 2014 and newer.

Certainly, if you have the "last" full installation download files for the earlier years, you could probably install those, but those do not have the state tax files, and those for 2013 and earlier are not available, so you wouldn't be able to open your 2013 and earlier tax files if you have any state file included.

So...make sure you convert all your 2013 and earlier tax files to PDF files before you move the files over to the new computer (two PDFs....one with just the Filing copy, and a second on with ALL the forms and calculation worksheets). That way you have full PDF copies of what was filed in those years.  (And PLEASE back them up off computer)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
CaraLO

Here is a link to help troubleshoot Installing and Running TurboTax on Windows products:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300294

In addition, I have included the Minimum System Requirements for TurboTax Windows Software:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302353

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies