rahittle

I had an 18 yr old senior in highschool move in with me on Sept 15 2022 that earned no income in 2022 and is not related to me can I claim him on my taxes for 2022?

His mom is a single mother and has three additional dependants under 18 still living at home
Mike9241

Not for 2022. for an unrelated person to be claimed as a dependent one rule is they must live with you for the entire year. 

Hal_Al

There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and Other ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but there is an age limit and student status test, a relationship test and a residence test. Only a QC qualifies a taxpayer for the Earned Income Credit and the Child Tax Credit. The Other dependent (qualifying relative) credit is worth (up to) $500 per dependent and is non-refundable.  That is, it can only be used to reduce an actual tax liability.

A person can still be a Qualifying relative dependent, if not a Qualifying Child, if he meets the 6 tests for claiming a dependent:

1. Closely Related OR live with the taxpayer ALL year
  2. His/her gross taxable income for the year must be less than $4400 (2022).
  3. The taxpayer must have provided more than 1/2 his support

In either case:

1. He must be a US citizen or resident of the US, Canada or Mexico
  2. He must not file a joint return with his spouse or be claiming a dependent of his own
  3. He must not be the qualifying child of another taxpayer

He must have a US social security number or tax identification number (TIN)