turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I had $1729 federal refund pending w/ $13,000 itemized deductd. So, chose std deduction $26000. The $1729 didnt go up. How is that possible when deductions doubled??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

I had $1729 federal refund pending w/ $13,000 itemized deductd. So, chose std deduction $26000. The $1729 didnt go up. How is that possible when deductions doubled??

TurboTax is optimized to get you the maximum legal refund. The default setting is for the Standard Deduction, before you start entering itemized deductions. Any refund or tax due showing is based on the Standard Deduction, until you have entered enough itemized deductions to exceed the Standard Deduction.

In your specific case, the $1729 federal refund was based on the assumption that you would file using the Standard Deduction, even as you were entering itemized deductions into TurboTax. Only if your itemized deductions totaled $26,001 or more would you have seen a change in your  refund.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Are you filing Married Joint, and both over age 65?

Yes.
MichaelMc

TurboTax is optimized to get you the maximum legal refund. The default setting is for the Standard Deduction, before you start entering itemized deductions. Any refund or tax due showing is based on the Standard Deduction, until you have entered enough itemized deductions to exceed the Standard Deduction.

In your specific case, the $1729 federal refund was based on the assumption that you would file using the Standard Deduction, even as you were entering itemized deductions into TurboTax. Only if your itemized deductions totaled $26,001 or more would you have seen a change in your  refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies