Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I got an email from TurboTax to delete my return and start again because there was an issue with the calculations. Now all my information is corrupted. What to do?

I had this problem before, TurboTax said they had a bug, then they seemed to have fixed it because it worked, and now they told me to delete my return and the bug is back. Deleting and restarting multiple times doesn't help. Has anyone seen anything like that? The product has been reliable in the past but this year is a total disaster.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

I got an email from TurboTax to delete my return and start again because there was an issue with the calculations. Now all my information is corrupted. What to do?

I've been posting here for over 10 years and never heard of Turbo Tax saying to delete a return.  Can you  post part of the email?  

Here is the pertinent part:

“We’re contacting you because there’s an issue with the accuracy of your 2022 tax return. Due to an error, some of your year-over-year data didn’t copy over into your current tax return. As a result, certain tax calculations might be incorrect.

To fix this issue, you will need to clear and start your 2022 taxes over again in TurboTax.”

Ive had an issue with corrupt data before, which TurboTax said was a known issue. Then they seemed to have fixed it because the data was fine and I almost finished my return, but then I got the email, followed the instructions, lost all my work and now I’m stuck with a corrupt return that doesn’t even show a valid SSN (not even the correct number of digits). Also they downgraded me from Self Employed to the free version for some reason.

@ElliG What is the email address of the sender?

TurboTax @ em2.turbotax.intuit.com

(no spaces, email addresses are removed automatically so I had to add them)

@ElliG The email address was removed by the Forum software.  Can you please re-send and put spaces between each letter of the address so it will not be removed.

@ElliG wrote:

Thanks, got it.

@ElliG wrote:

I am going to forward this address to the TurboTax Moderators of the this forum to see if this is a valid TurboTax email.  Thank you very much!!

The email had a “verified by Yahoo” badge (I use Yahoo email). Also I logged into TurboTax separately, not through a link in the email, and then deleted the return.

Even if the email was an error, deleting the return and starting over shouldn’t result in corrupt data (the social security that is shown is in the format 12-345- (different numbers) and that’s it, there aren’t enough numbers and the numbers aren’t even right.

@ElliG Thanks again.  That message definitely looks squirrely.  None of us volunteers have ever seen such a message from TurboTax.  Will have to wait and see what the Moderators have to say about this.

I received the exact same email this afternoon. I was just waiting until the CA extended deadline of 10/16 to pay my taxes. Now I'm not sure what to do either. No notifications when I log onto my tax return, just email like the original poster. Email is my correct one. Look forward to a response to the original.

@annie21 @ElliG @VolvoGirl NOTICE - As stated by the TurboTax Moderator -

It does not appear to be a legitimate email. I did not see it listed on our security notices, but I would advise them to forward these emails to spoof@intuit.com to investigate. 

I don't think the moderator is right - the email originated from an intuit.com email, and the 20% discount that was included in the email to "make up for the inconvenience" actually worked for me. I doubt spammers can provide legitimate TurboTax discounts. 

For those who have a similar problem: Deleting the return after I received the original email also had the side effect of downgrading me to the free version.

I was finally able to get my data to import correctly from last year when I logged out, selected the correct version I needed from a TurboTax web page that shows all the different versions (free, premier, etc.), and then logged back in. Once the system upgraded me to the right version, I was able to start over and get my data to update correctly. Just another thing to try if you can't figure it out just by deleting and starting over...

SuziM

Hi @ElliG! Would it be possible for you to send me a screenshot of the email? You can black out any personal info if need be. Please send it to me via private message. Thank you! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies