Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I formally borrowed 60,000 from my company to pay off a mortage and paid the company the same interest rate 3.125%. Can I claim this interest on my personal taxes?

I am a shareholder in the company and we had extra cash reserves, rather than pay the mortgage company we paid off the mortgage with a personal business loan, well documented and approved by members of the board (C Corp).

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I formally borrowed 60,000 from my company to pay off a mortage and paid the company the same interest rate 3.125%. Can I claim this interest on my personal taxes?

No. A loan is only considered a tax deductible mortgage if the loan is secured by the property and "perfected" -- that is, it must be written in such a way that you could be foreclosed if you defaulted, and it must be recorded as a lien against the property with the local authorities, usually the county clerk.  A loan that is not secured by the home and recorded as a lien is not deductible even if it is used to buy or build a house or pay off a previous mortgage.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies