Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed jointly last year but decide to file seperately this year, but for the final step, turbotax said can not find my last year file

Hi,

I filed jointly with my spouse last year since I have no salary last year. and this year I have a new job so we decided to file seperately. But in the final step, it shows:

It looks like you started, but didn't successfully e-file the 2021 return with TurboTax. We'll use this info to guide you through the next steps.

E-filed with a different tax software
Filed with a CPA
Printed and mailed tax return
Tried to e-file, but was rejected
Didn't file taxes

there is no choice of filing jointly last year, what should I choose?

Thanks
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I filed jointly last year but decide to file seperately this year, but for the final step, turbotax said can not find my last year file

You filed on a Form 1040----you say you filed a joint return.   If you filed a joint return, the AGI on line 11 of that form is the same for you and for your spouse.  It does not matter that you had no income in 2021.   You and your spouse have the same AGI for 2021.   Use the number from line 11.   If that number does not work then try "zero" instead.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Your post is confusing----first you say you filed with a CPA last year and filed jointly, then you say you did not file last year.   If you filed a joint return last year----filed by your CPA----the AGI is the same amount for both of you.  It is on line 11 of your 2021 tax return.  You and your spouse have the same 2021 AGI on a joint return even if you earned zero in 2021.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Hi 

Sorry for make you confused. I filed jointly with my spouse last year using turbotax, and we do have last year 1044 form. But because my last year salary is 0 so the AGI 2021 is all my spouse salary.

Now because I need to file seperately this year and turbotax need me to enter my last AGI, should I enter the number in our 1044 form(which is the 2021 AGI number that we filed jointly) or should I enter 0(because for me I dont have any salary last year)

Thanks so much

You filed on a Form 1040----you say you filed a joint return.   If you filed a joint return, the AGI on line 11 of that form is the same for you and for your spouse.  It does not matter that you had no income in 2021.   You and your spouse have the same AGI for 2021.   Use the number from line 11.   If that number does not work then try "zero" instead.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies