annefrenette1-gm

I filed for an extension and paid what I thought would be due. I am now owed a refund. How do I also get a refund of what I paid when filing for the extension?

How do I get refunded for overpayment with extension filing?

If you overpaid your taxes and reported the taxes paid on the tax return you will get a refund for the overpayment on the tax return.

If you used the TurboTax Easy Extension to electronically file the extension request, Form 4868, and make the tax payment with the request, the payment should already entered on your tax return. Provided you used the same user ID for the 2020 online tax return as was used for the Easy Extension. You can check to see if the amount is on your tax return by clicking on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Then click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Then click on Preview my 1040.

The federal extension payment will be shown on Schedule 3 Line 9. The amount from Schedule 3 Part II Line 13 flows to Form 1040 Line 31

To enter, change or delete a payment made with an extension request (Federal, State, Local) -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • On Other Income Taxes, click on the start or update button

On the next screen select the type of extension payment made and click on the start or update button

Or enter federal extension payment in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to federal extension payment

annefrenette1-gm

Very helpful! Thank you.

If you entered the estimated pre-payment in Turbotax, then the refund amount stated already takes into account the prior payment.  If you did not enter the estimate paid with the extension, enter it under "estimates and other taxes paid" on the deductions and credits screen.