Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

show19

I filed exempt more than 6 months, and I file head of household and 1 dependent how will this affect me?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

I filed exempt more than 6 months, and I file head of household and 1 dependent how will this affect me?

What you claimed on your W-4, at work, was just an estimate, for withholding purposes.  It does not lock you in to what you file at tax time. You don't enter it anywhere on your actual tax return. The IRS does not try to match that to what you actually end up filing for.

So, just file as Head of Household, with your dependent. If it turns out that you owe money, you should  file a new W-4 at work. You are not exempt.

As someone else said, you are not technically "exempt" unless your calculated tax was 0 last year and you expect it to be 0 this year.

There's no way to know without knowing your total income fr the year...and even then it would be a guess.

If you total income is  35,000, and standard deduction, you may owe the IRS $100-$200...but income less than that you could owe nothing.

You shouldn't claim"exempt" at work...we usually recommend putting 8-10 allowances on the W-4  you submit to your employer in this situation.

.....but if you have income significantly higher than $35,000, you will start owing the IRS significant amounts unless you start withholding.  In that case, a W-4 with fewer allowances would be appropriate.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies