Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

diaz65936

I filed as not dependent, but I am a dependent, and my mom claimed me as a dependent, how do I change my status as a dependent?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I filed as not dependent, but I am a dependent, and my mom claimed me as a dependent, how do I change my status as a dependent?

Weather you are a dependent or not your FILING status is SINGLE either way ... what changes is the box on the 1040 saying you can be claimed as a dependent ... and this is handled in the MY INFO section of the TT program ...

dependent ... can I be claimed .png1040 2019 depd.png

Did your return reject or did your mom's return reject?  If your return was Accepted as not a dependent you will need to amend it.  If your mother's return rejected because you claimed yourself then she will have to print and mail her return to claim you even if you amend yours.  

You need to wait for your first return to fully process and you get the first refund. Then you can Amend. So it might be a long wait.  How to Amend
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-...

The only way to change to "someone can claim me" is to put it in writing on Form 1040-X Part III Explanation.

If you took any credits or deduction not allowed a dependent, you submit that change also along with any supporting forms or schedules.

@diaz65936 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies