Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cpeng20

I filed 1 federal and 3 state returns using TurboTax Deluxe (includes 1 free state). Why was I charged twice, $79.98 and $39.98 for a federal filing and 1 state filings?

I filed my tax returns online using the TurboTax Deluxe (includes 1 free state) CD. One Federal filing and 3 state filings (MD, DC, VA). And I wasn't even allowed to e-file my DC tax return online. Why was I charged twice, $79.98 and $39.98 for a federal filing and supposedly1 state filings?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
jjpurdy

I filed 1 federal and 3 state returns using TurboTax Deluxe (includes 1 free state). Why was I charged twice, $79.98 and $39.98 for a federal filing and 1 state filings?

The reason a person files the federal return free and then like in Montana the State charges $19.99 to e-file...and elects NOT to pay the $19.99 State fee by a credit card charge (right now)...TurboTax charges an additional $39.99 processing fee because they loan the $19.99 to you and then the when the Federal return is processed the $19.99 State charge AND the additional $39.99 charge is both deducted from your federal refund ( not your State refund ) because TurboTax has previously paid the State $19.99 in advance of processing. The moral of the answer is pay with credit card to avoid the processing charges - $39.99 per State or D.C....

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies